300 unbeaten.

This year got to be one of the worst years since I started this blog in which I managed to pay very little attention to this space. I am quite impressed that this page has survived 9 years, in all honesty started as a means to impress a special person then eventually it became a very regular habit of mine. 

This blog gave me an avenue to test out my writing skills and helped me hone my creativity, the number of page views have dropped drastically since when I started it and also on the fact that it became overwhelming for me to keep a tab on plenty of bloggers who I started writing this blog with mainly because of work and life itself. I do miss all of the very active times on this blog. 

That being said this happened to be my 300th post. The title of the post is a nod to that. it's a cricket reference for my readers who live in US. It just means the batsman has scored 300 runs and he is still unbeaten. I have decided to mark this occasion with a special post I've been meaning to write for quite some time.

A while ago a friend of mine who is just enthusiastic as me in listening to guitar solos asked me to rank my favorite guitar solos of all time. I had to spend a good hour or so thinking about all my favorite guitar solos to list them out. That's when I thought this might be a great topic for my 300th post so here it goes.

I haven't ranked any of the songs other than the top 3 because I equally love all of them but the top 3 certainly are a different story. If you're still reading this I urge you to listen all these songs at-least once for each and everyone I've listed here is a true masterpiece.

The first one's for Metallica. Of course no list of mine is complete without them ever present in it. There are so many songs from Metallica that I had a hard to time to pick between Wherever I may roam,  Fade to Black and this one. Eventually One edged it for me. This one's for you Kirk Hammett. I have not added the original music video for any of these because the guitar solo is the key point of this post.


Now that we've started with a bang. The second one has a tough act to follow. The second one is The Child in Time by Deep Purple. This song actually picked itself when i made the list. I know Highway star is a worthy contender but this one edges it for me I even bought a CD just to listen to this one song. Please do not miss this amazing guitar solo towards the end.


The third one is an absolute face melter. It's the Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Like the previous one it picks itself when this comes on the radio and if i am driving I head to the freeway before the guitar solo arrives.


Is your face still alright after listening to the previous one? The number 4 comes from down under, I wasn't a big fan of this song until I watched School of Rock.  This song grew on me ever since I saw this on the end rolls of the film. Here's AC/DC - It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll.



We can't have an amazing guitar solo list without involving Eric Clapton. Like many songs in this list Layla picked itself. I am such a sucker for love songs.


I am not done with Eric Clapton yet. He is so good he redid this song in an acoustic guitar and topped even the original. It's my blog so yes Acoustic guitar solos do count when its Eric Clapton.



Next on my list is Bob Dylan's All Along the Watch tower taken to a new level by One Mr.Hendrix.


And there's more of Hendrix left. Purple Haze




Now for the top 3!!

#3

It's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant as they take us on a Stairway to heaven. Enough said.



#2 

Pink Floyd wins this one,  David Gilmour's solo for Comfortably Numb is truly scintillating and his performances live are even mesmerizing. I do like the Stereo version more.



#1

Beatles of course who else? This song is my favorite among the Beatles and it doesn't have a special long solo like the others in this list which is what makes this song special.  

The lyrics of this song are done by George Harrison which makes the song tick. A little known fact about this song is that it's got Eric Clapton in guitar as well. This song came at distressing time when there were cracks among the Beatles themselves but it simply came out perfectly. I present to you While my guitar gently weeps. 

Listening to this song makes me ponder a lot into the past and introspect. Depending on the mood often brings a tear into my eye. Beatles simply are the best!!!



If you've read this far I appreciate your musical inclination and patience in getting this far.  Writing this post has made me quite nostalgic and often groping for words. George Harrison is my favorite Beatle I like to end this post with a cover Eric Clapton did for his tribute.


Comments

Popular Posts